Friday, January 27

Molly Grue and Schmendrick

In the midst of all this crazy relationship drama, I was feeling the need to redirect some poorly spent devotion. Of course this is never a good time for me to be wandering around the pet store. It's like going to the supermarket hungry.

I am categorically opposed to impulse pet acquisition, however it I am a sucker when it comes to goldfish.

My initial intent was to locate someone who knew about the fish shipments to ask if the might be getting more Ryukins in. LOCATING a store employee (apparently a rare species) proved problematic. I stumbled on three individuals in identical blue polo shirts that clustered around one tank and used phrases like "what is that?" "gross" "they all have it" "I'm not scrubbing it" and "just wipe it loose."

Since it wasn't like I was risking the health of an established tank and fish population at home, I decided that minute I was taking a fish out of there.

Helping me was less appealing than dealing with whatever was in that tank (which they thankfully blocked from my sight) and they spent the next few minutes verbally ro-sham-bow-ing over who would have to actually do some work. The youngest, and most surly of the bunch shambles aftermee to the fantail goldfish tank with a net and a plastic bag. After chasing the entire tank full of fish around uncessfully, two fish in particular refuse to be seperated.

I took them both.

Meet Schmendrick (calico) and Molly Grue (orange) The industrial sized mayo jar turned fishtank is a temporary fix. Come payday these guys are getting a real pad. If they make it that long -- I found Schmendrick "playing dead" tucked in next to the filter this morning. He didn't move till I started sprinkling food and tapping on the glass.

I just glad I didn't walk out of there with a bearded chameleon.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nessa said...

Cute fishies.

1/27/2006 3:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home