Sunday, December 11

Gender Differences

I usually resist conversations that descend into how men and women are different. For as many generalizations there are that can be made there are just as many exceptions to the rule.

However this time I indulged because it was D -- who can get me to talk about anything -- being somewhat the male version of myself I love to hear what he has to say about things. So this time the conversation got around to 'action/inaction'

Interestingly enough, we agreed on two basic ideas (This isn't always the norm, trust me):

Men would rather take any action even though it may be a mistake...

Women would rather do nothing than make a mistake...

Interestingly enough we came to this by very different methods. I attribute this to socialization, culture and gender roles. He called it our individual 'natures.' Yet we both came to the same conclusion.

But it does bring up a certain line of inquiry because I know people of both sexes who run their show by one or the other of these strategies. So I put it to you...When is it okay to do nothing? And when is doing nothing the greatest mistake you can make? Is there really a gender difference?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hm. I think that's true in a certain sense. I'd rather do nothing than make a life-altering mistake in my own life. But most women I know are more active in managing social situations to everyone's comfort and watching friends for signs of depression, etc., and then actively going to offer help.

So I guess I wonder to some extent whether even this agreed-to dichotomy isn't a social construction too - a different way of saying that men are active, and women are passive.

12/14/2005 12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home