Friday, January 13

And the Point Is...

Alright, if you'll forgive my most recent bout of nonsensicalness let's get back to business.

So the news of my day today is in regard to the recently released SFWA Nebula Award Ballot and one entry in particular in the screenplay category: the Old Negro Space Program. While I won't go into details about the drama (apparently its presence on the ballot is currently under debate) because And We Shall March has a much more brilliant analysis of the whole situation -- I am posting the link to the free ifilm viewing site and herby joining the THE CAMPAIGN FOR ANDY BOBROW AND THE OLD NEGRO SPACE PROGRAM.

It's probably one of the funniest dead pan "mockumentary" films I've ever seen and being in a genre where representation of POC* (characters, authors, books) is still seriously lagging this film succeeds in being both a credible sci-fi piece and a really clever commentary on the lack of "POC in Space."

So watch the movie. And write a letter. I have no idea what the problem is with this script, but to quote And We Shall March:

"one of the best things about being an American with a blog is that you don't have to bother going through the effort of fully informing yourself before you sign on and start screaming. God, I love this country so very much."

Give the Old Negro Space Program a shot, eh? Hell, it's up against Joss Whedon's Serenity script. It's not like the road to the Nebby is going to be easy.





*POC: People Of Color. One of my least favorite code words for the "those other people" category I find myself often cast into based on the color of my skin.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the new look of the blog, Eddie - very sharp!

1/14/2006 10:22 PM  
Blogger Nessa said...

ONSP was very funny and so well done. The seriousness of it was perfect.

1/17/2006 3:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

meh...

1/18/2006 12:03 PM  
Blogger Eddie said...

Cat- Thanks! Congrats to you on your pubs, many more in '06!

Nibs- Yes, I had friends ask if they should laugh or cry!

Anon - Ummmm, do you want to translate that? USE YOUR WORDS, you can do it...

1/18/2006 12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home