Thursday, December 29

Technology moves on

Dragging my sorry ass behind it. So today after toodling around reading everyone else's blogs, adding links and finally looking into this Technorati business everyone is all buzzy about (and finding myself ranked a big fat 'zero' -- I told you nobody reads this thing but mom) I decided I would do the thing that I've been dreading all week....

blog.

Why dread?

On the eve of my (latest) move -- Stolie, I know exactly what you mean when you talk about how expensive moving can be, and I'm in a small town in Cali -- I find myself, utterly...well, wordless. At least any constructive words.

I guess I could ramble about a beautiful x-mas in a snowless cabin with somebody else's family and doubting my sweetie's love for the first time. I could talk about the new place (complete with emergency water pump as I will now live in a flood zone) or the torrential weather which is keeping half of my moving crew in Sacramento and putting that water pump to good use. I miss Clarion friends -- and the peace what happened at that place brought me, in spite of the insanity it wreaked on the rest of my life. Thinking about IndyAnn who lost her horse Ice this week to freak illness. Wish I could hug you girl.

Truth is, I have nothing to say about my writing (temporarily stalled because my computer is in a box and I can't WORK at work, if ya know what I'm saying) and aside from the pep talk I gave myself about turning this move into a "positive experience" I still feel like I've been dumped for what amounts to the second time in my life by another GIRL who used to call herself my best friend (I know, poor me -- sucks to get a taste of one's own medicine)

I don't want to complain but I still want to blather senselessly at anyone out there who might be listening. Nonsense? Of course it is. Welcome to my world.

The strong part of me is saying "buck up grrl and get your ass in gear. New Year, new day, new opportunities." The rest of me is lying in a huddled pile under the desk and waiting for the rest of the sky to fall in. Yeeeah for being a Gemini, I suppose.

Okay so here is the pep talk I gave myself today, and I'm telling you because sometimes the only way to get things done around here is to hold oneself accountable -- by telling everybody else what you SAID you were going to do.

1. Change is opportunity and the Borg were right about one thing resistance IS futile. Let go and move on. You will survive this and more.
2. Nothing lasts forever. Best friends, boyfriends or ideal roommate situations included. Love the memories, learn from the mistakes and keep on truckin.
3. Forgiveness is pretty damn near divine -- it also takes a lot of practice and you have two very good opportunities to work on that skill right now. Up for a challenge?
4. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Remember we see things as WE are, not as THEY are. Who are you right now? What do you see?
5. Give yourself a hug. Rinse, Repeat.
6. There are starving children all over the world, people without homes due to catastrophe, countries being bombed, powerful people doing ridiculous things, and others having to do awful things to survive. Be grateful you are who you are, where you are, when you are. Life is very good. Say THANK YOU to the UNIVERSE for everything you have, and the things you don't. Be grateful for the opportunity to learn, grow, be challenged and rise above.
7. SUCK IT UP. Tough, smart, stubborn, brave, funny and lovable. These words have all been used to describe you. (Note the omission of thin skinned, simpering, grumpy or wallowing)
8. Go get yourself some ice cream -- better yet, finish of what's left of the cookies and cream in the freezer so that you'll have one less thing to move.

Remember what mom says: and this too shall pass...

So tonight I'll come home and play Shakira louder than I ever would if I was worried about keeping the neighbors happy. As of Monday I'll be surrounded by college kids with bands and parties and music out the wazoo anyway. I'll throw the rest of this shit in boxes - sort the stuff for the dump and recycling, crack open a Corona, add lime and finish watching Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie spend an entire movie engaged in foreplay.(you know you want to check that link)

By the way, life does go on.

Just in case you were wondering.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Andrew said...

Just FYI, those are some of the wisest pieces of advice I've run across in some time. I'm linking to this post, like, RIGHT FRICKIN' NOW.

12/30/2005 8:04 AM  
Blogger Eddie said...

Coming from you that means a ton, thanks Andy. Here's to living them!

12/30/2005 8:54 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

I totally agree with all your words of wisdom and I think what you say in #6 is what I consider the extent of my "religion". Just being grateful for what you have and truly accepting it takes you a long way. What a great read :) Take care of yourself...sounds like you've got a great headstart!

12/30/2005 1:23 PM  
Blogger Me to know...you to discover said...

I found you through Andy...I loved your 1-8 life suggestions :))) I copied them over to my blog entry today and included your link. Im not nearly clever enough to come up with those on my own *giggle* Happy New Year

12/31/2005 8:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there, sorry to hear about all the troubles, but I love your outlook on the whole thing. Change is opportunity, and many of the things that seemed bad when they happened to me later turned out to have good results. People are an adaptable sort, and making the best of a situation is a method of survival. Seems like you're ready to get a fresh start on things, and what better time than the New Year? Have a good one, and I miss you lots!

1/01/2006 12:20 PM  
Blogger Nessa said...

Great post. Good luck with everything new. I will add you to my list of blogs to read and I, too, am copying your advice. Thanks.

1/04/2006 10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home