Tuesday, June 21

Day 2...Barely

Phew. The last few days are a whirlwind of people, stuff and emotion. I am taking a much needed break from my second round of critique stories. All I can say is wow -- great group, great house, great stories.

I will spare you my "eddie's-grand-appearance-just-in-the-nick-of-time-and-reeking-of-gasoline" (trust me its a doozy and I'm only giving myself a ten minute break here I still have two stories to go tonight -- er, this morning) suffice it to say I was the LAST one to arrive and just before Ms. Butler herself appeared.

One thing I can recommend. Move heaven and earth to get here early. I needed the good night's sleep in Portland -- kept me from totally cracking up on Sunday's drive into Seattle -- but it sucks arriving to the "LIFE CHANGING" Clarion West late, flustered and with all your stuff still in bags in the car. DO yourself a favor. Saturday. Get here Saturday. Or feel like a schmuck and play catchup the first 48 hours.

eg. Yours truly.

ok so stuff you want to know (in brief):

Seattle is incredible. Green, lush, beautiful. The house is on a tree lined street near the university and -- aside from the noisy frat boys playing b-ball outside my bedroom window -- way too nice for a bunch of starving artists (not that I'm complaining) Like Octavia says, you get what you expect. Shite, if we keep going like this, I'm gonna need to write ALL best sellers to keep up this lifestyle :-)

We have a cook most weeknights and lunches. She is is awesome. I love her already. Food is good. Real good. Especially when you skip breakfast and lunch because your computer is throwing a shit fit about going wireless. A stick of memory and some sweet talking and I am cruising the superhighway --sans wires. Ah life is good. Word to the wise: get your computer shit in gear before you get here. Sign away your firstborn child to Dell, Gateway, Imac or whoever, if need be. This will contribute to your general sense of "catch up"

eg. Yours truly.

Make yourself comfy. I was worried about too much stuff. PHAW...With the help of my very wonderful, strong and generous Clarionites my car was unloaded lickety split (urban kayaking a la Tolley and all) My room, now set up is a cozy blue lined den, mini yoga studio and the center of my known universe at this point. I may need a map to find it in this cavernous house, but I'll get there when it comes time to sleep, relax or just be alone.

Seattle is warmer than expected. Pack for everything! Thank goodness I packed a fan AND a space heater...

Clarionites are great. Sure its only day two-ish but these folks are AWESOME. Every group is entirely its own, but these cats have to be the absolute best ever. I have never been in a more stimulating critique session where everyone was on point as they were today (yesterday) morning. Went for a lovely spring outing with two of my fellow students. We checked out UWash and some of the district. Found two excellent used book stores and some restaurants to explore when we're on our own for meals.

Oh poop. Ten minutes is up. Dunno when I get back to this -- got to start a story of my own sometime soon and the crits keep comin! Whoo-hooo!

next...some seattle pics? Ms. Butler's reading? The Sci Fi Museum?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey girl!! it sounds like things are lovely so far. just know that this workshop is making you a stronger person. after all, you are a superstar writer. keep up the good work!! love ya ras!!

6/24/2005 9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey ras that last comment was from Nicole, your old JMC buddy from humboldt state.

6/24/2005 9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home