Tuesday, June 14

What this blog is, and isn't (or should that be "will and won't be")

Okay so you came here one of a few ways:
  1. You're a member of my family and/or a friend who is in one way or another supporting me through this process. You know exactly how much this means to me and what can come of it. Thanks for playing along!
  2. You are a fellow Clarionite wanting to see what dirt I will dish on you (see #2 below)
  3. You are a Clarion potential who somehow found this site and want the dirt. (see #2 below)
  4. You are hopelessly lost in blog land and blogspot spat you out on my doorstep. (sorry!)
Now that I've sent you the address, or you stumbled in, let's take a moment to consider what this blog is. Since this is bound to come up at the workshop and I want to be totally proactive and honest about my blogging addiction. I also want you to know what my purpose is in keeping this blog and what you can and cannot expect if you drop in to see what I'm up to in Seattle.
  1. Regularity - I am going to Seattle for six weeks to write so I have NO idea how much time I have after writing, crits, meeting people, rubbing elbows with seventeen other aspiring pros and the visiting pros that will guide us. I will do my best.
  2. Dirt - Not here! I don't know my fellow Clarionites or the real people behind the incredible lineup of author/teacher names yet. Being human (I think) I'm sure I will love and loathe them in turns. Doesn't mean you'll get to hear about every shift. Without having met a single one of them in person I admire them all for having the gutsies to go through with this. We will be trapped in a house together for six weeks. Drama, BS, Junk and Crap are bound to occur. I will also not mis-quote authors, bitch back at unfavorable crits or vent at pros. Reality TV this is NOT. I MAY (with permission) post a pic now and again.
  3. Its all about me, baby - You will get a lot of my innner chatter and reflections on the whole Clarion "experience" as it happens. I'll share things I learn about writing, working with other writers, constant critique, steady writing, techical writing issues, victories and details about being a writer that may be interesting to you. Also whatever I do to kill the spare time will probably appear, as well as my Seattle explorations. I will probably be inane and insightful in turns (if lucky) -- I may also be (gasp!) boring as hell. Take your chances. Calculated risk...Wanna get inside my head?
What can you do about all of this? In short, nothing. Unless you are in a severely small inner circle of folks that occasionally act as my padded room venting session you will not hear how so-and-so "stole my idea" "was way too harsh" "smells funny" "has no idea what he/she is talking about" or "irritates the hell out of me." Don't ask. Don't beg. You'll only feel foolish being denied.

When it comes to #3, there ARE things you can do.
  1. Leave a comment - Cheer me on, correct my incorrectness, say hi, give me an idea you had, tell me a joke or a story, hold my virtual hand and/or laugh your ass off.
  2. Send an email - Same as above
  3. Send me a letter - I love "real" mail! If you have been entrusted with the secret Clarion "bat cave" coordinants you can send cards, letters, photos, music, good looking men who like to rub feet and/or small unmarked bills (kidding on those last three -- okay so not much the last one)
  4. Call me - If you know the digits you can use them -- just not between 9-12am. I am not going to be the one embarrassed when her cell phone goes off in the middle of crits. If you do this, I may not call you back. EVER. Unless this is an absolute emergency this law abides. I also have daytime minute limits, so bear in mind.
  5. Be Patient - Remember, I am not always brilliant, amazing, confident, smart, funny or sane. In Seattle I will be one of 18 wanna-be pros. Please encourage, but don't wag your finger at me.
So those are the ground rules, this is my blog...Welcome to the inside of my head and Clarion West 2005 -- see you in Seattle...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey girl just doing a test to see if you get the message.

have fun out there.

love you
Nat

6/15/2005 6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home