Monday, June 6

11 Days and Counting

I'd like to think I could be an adult about this -- or at least a mature individual. That I could be patient, thoughtful and appreciating every minute of agony leading up to my departure. As you might have guessed from the end of that last sentence, its NOT going to happen. I am giddy, excited, moody, nervous, anxious, eager and nauseous (or is that nauseated) in equal turns. Why?

In 11 days I leave my life in northern California for six weeks of utter insanity called Clarion West. Picture this, 18 writers, picked to live in a house together, write together, agonize together, all under the tutelage of six amazing published speculative fiction writers. No, its not the Real World, but its gonna get really interesting.

How did I get to this point? Well anyone who's known me long enough knows I've been a writer since I figured out how to string a sentence together. My first word: hotdog. Immediately followed by (thanks Grandma) : damn-ant.

Since then I've logged more words on more pages in more notebooks than anyone person should probably have access to. Now I'm a writer. A published author, well that's an altogether different story. Which is where Clarion comes in. SO its not a guarantee, but when names like Octavia Butler, Nalo Hopkinson, Harlan Ellison, Connie Willis, and Charles DeLint (to skim the surface of a mind boggling list) are associated with ONE workshop...Yeah getting in is as close to the #1 of a top ten "you might be on your way to publication if..." list you're gonna get.

Last night my dear friends (sisters, co-workers and the family you make) threw me a benefit party. I think I could not love a group of people more than I love the friends and family that have risen to the occasion on this one and are making sure I get to this workshop. One way or the other. Without you I am just a writer. Now I am a Clarionite!

You have my heart (and the dedication in my first book) pinkie swear.


In 11 days this writer leaves for Clarion with a car full of stuff, her laptop and a whole lotta dreams (some good story ideas too) -- and you get to come along :-)

Week One:Octavia Butler (can I scream and roll around on the floor with delight for just a minute please)

But FIRST: classmates that I already love (sight unseen), the packing list, music that must come along, leaving Echo and BJ behind, caravaning with boys, and how this grrl stays focused on her job for two weeks when she really wants to camp out on the lawn in Seattle until move in day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home