Wednesday, June 22

30 hours and counting...

So I have officially been awake for more than 30 hours, with about hour long naps at 3 pm yesterday and six am this morning. Why, you might ask.

I foolishly (er...bravely) rose to the challenge of turning in a piece for critique on Thursday which meant I had to have it done by this morning at 9 am. I am now officially crabby, bitchy and tired and have sequestered myself in my room to avoid subjecting anyone else to my presence. My next goal, get down to lunch while being nice, friendly and congenial.

The last three days I have been running on pure Clarion induced adrenaline. This group has seen me perky, happy, bright and utterly energetic. I actually got a comment on how LA I am. Which is alarming to say the least. Brought on in part no doubt by the fact that I tend to "valley speak" when excited -- which I have been non stop. I think they may be in for a surprise.

Today during the last story crit I just sagged. Which was unfortunate cause it was a story I really liked. But I think it actually was a more effective crit, and maybe taken more seriously. Will have to make a mental note of that.

I am unfortunately agonizing over the story I submitted. TO be honest I volunteered only because Octavia specifically asked me if I could submit something beside my Clarion submission story. Uh-oh. Until then I was happily coasting along this week thinking my submission story would be the one.

So in about 20 hours, between naps, computer drama (thanks mom for coming to the rescue on that one) , three story crits and Octavia's reading at the SF museum I hammered out my first 24 hour short story. At about 30 pages its a whopper, and I'm not sure I pulled anything off well except proving that I could write fiction on demand like I write News Alerts at work. Its one that's been circling my head for a while, and I just couldn't get a bead on it. Still not sure I like what came out, but I had a definite start, conflict and ending, so that officially makes it a Clarion fiction piece via Octavia Butler.

Tomorrow, the crit. I need to eat and get sleep, recharge my batteries and strap on my thick tough writer skin -- SHE WHO FEARS NO REJECTION --

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home