Sunday, July 10

Another one bites the dust

Good Evening, dear reader. (Always wanted to say that)

(This post is hereby dedicated to Tazsa, without whom it might not exist.)

So week three has just gone down the tubes and before I hop on the freight train conveniently titled "Week 4: Avoiding Predictions of Overworked Writers, Group Disgust and Unbearable Homesickness " I thought I'd touch bases with you for a brief recap of Timmi's week.

First of all. I (HEART) Timmi in a major way. Just so as you know. I also (HEART)ed Octavia and Andy, and with only three hours of Connie under my belt I sense the (HEART) growing...Its amazing how each individual instructor brings such unique and wonderful things to the table. All those things that have been said about Timmi's remarkable ability to see to the core of your story and lay it bare are TRUE. It is absolutely terrifying and thrilling all at once.

And I really liked her. A lot.

How's that for goofy fandom. Yeah, I know. I have so much admiration for her starting her own press and keeping the doorway open for sf writers with feminist inclinations and that can't get traction in the major houses. Too cool.

And now, back to me. I had a good week last week, but the fatigue was SOMETHING. I felt dead tired, and so far behind on everything it wasn't funny. I couldn't sleep enough, or keep my room tidy enough to remain sane. Also "REAL LIFE" reared its ugly head early in the week when I realized I totally screwed the pooch about the intersection of my rent due date, paycheck and fourth of July holiday. Suffice it to say, thank god for my amazing roommate who not only covered rent until said "real life" issue resolved itslef but endured countless "did my check get there yet?" messages on the machine while I got myproverbial shit together. I (HEART) my girl, BJ. Big time.

The Prince crit went well -- did I talk about this already? If so, tell me to shut up, or just skip this graf. For a story I viewed as a writing exercise in "how much can I get away with before people start throwing small objects at me" I was amazed that people did find it engaging and a turn (no matter how slight) from the usual fairy tale retelling. I did predict a few of the places where people had problems, but a few blindsided me (a good thing, really) and gave me lots of room for thought. My favorite comment of disbelief was about the Prince retaining his keen froggy hearing as a human. HA! Who would have guessed anyone cared?! I love this class. Thanks for keeping me honest kids. Really, really (HEART) this Clarion group.

There's been some discussion on this lately so I'll just add my two cents on the "to rewrite or not to rewrite" (at Clarion) dilemma. I've decided not to do rewrites of my stories at this point. The momentum train is rolling and doing rewrites now would be like having a delay at the depot. So I'm reading over the crit sheets immediately after session, taking any notes or asking for clarification but then they go in a box (actually a plastic storage unit from Target) Every once in a while I pull a stack out and read the good comments for motivation, but other than that they are OFF LIMITS. That way they can marinate in my head with the story and when I'm clearer (read: had more sleep) I can really rewrite with a conscious eye on what I was trying to do and how well I did or did not accomplish that without getting swamped by seventeen individual (albeit AMAZING voices) That said, I am gonna get a bit of Strange out, sooner rather than later. Technically that's not a rewrite, more like a sneak preview. Pinkie Swear.

I'm also just killing time while I'm SUPPOSED to be working on my next piece (genetically modified designer pets anyone?Why do I feel like its a "fluff" piece already?) Connie Willis arrived tonight and she is SOMETHING. You ever like someone that totally scares you with how great they are at what they do? Yeah that's Connie. I (heart) Connie. Not as much as Amy though. NOBODY (hearts) Connie like Amy does. Its a beautiful thing.

One last bit. Thanks to the hosts of Friday's shindig. Fabulous house, great crowd and I learned the flavor aesthetics of a good Scotch. I feel so edu-ma-cated. I forgot my camera, but have plenty of eyeball memories stashed in my grey matter. I'd love to drop names but then you'd get sick of me and just go away, so all I will say is that the writing community here in Seattle is pretty stinkin cool and they come out to the gatherings. Nothing like talking to someone in casual conversation and having the surreal moment of realizing that they're THE....(fill in the blank with the name of your favorite writer)

Yipee! I may just be delirious, but at the start of week four I still love being here and can't wait for tomorrow.

Did I mention I am sick of my hair? Well, that's another rant - now I'm just procrastinating. Hi Ho, Hi Ho, its off to work I go...

1 Comments:

Blogger Shrog said...

Thanks for the dedication and the update! "Hearting" you in Humboldt!

7/11/2005 10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home