Wednesday, May 31

Current Mood: Bizzy Bee Buzzing

Reading: Perdido Street Station, China Mieville

Listening to: Julieta Venegas

Projects: The River's Tale (workingly untitled) Look for it when you get back from Wiscon, kids!

I have to say I'm currently a bit bummed that I am not going to Wiscon with the rest of my Clarion West Class (seriously...I'm no good with math but with only six of us not going out of a group of 18 that's pretty remarkable for one CW class, or so I've been told) The neatest part is that those going have actually organized a reading for our classmates.

Sooper-coolio!

Wish I could be there more than anything to be at that reading. It does seem kind of miraculous that we've stayed in such close contact since CW -- dunno if that happens for everyone but

(uh oh, I feel some advice for future Clarionites coming on...)

Having a group of people that you know well and know your writing well through an intensive workshop like this is such a huge boon to your work, even beyond the workshop itself. It really pays to be on good terms with as many people as possible and stay connected -- not only for future critiques -- but for market advice, story ideas, general encouragement and companionship on this crazy road to becoming a published author.

This group has taught me (often through example)
  • not to be afraid of rejection
  • how to submit relentlessly
  • discipline!
  • how exciting and fun it can be to finally get published (and in places like F&SF, among others!)
I might have come on these lessons on my own at some point -- or quit writing out of frustration -- but knowing you're not alone going through this can save you years of therapy.

Okay, seriously, writing is a lonely business. Anything we can do along the way to make it less so is worth the effort.

'Nuff said.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Nessa said...

Sounds like very valuable advice.

6/01/2006 2:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You were definitely missed, but there's always next year, right?

So, where's this story of yours? I'm looking forward to it!

6/06/2006 7:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home