Tuesday, March 14

The cat ate my cover letter

So Strange officially got it's second rejection letter. One thing about CW -- I now have a much better understanding of the entire submission/rejection process and a much healthier attitude about rejection.

Oh you're not rejecting ME personally, just my misshapen green baby? Oh, okay well thanks anyway. NEXT!

However, this rejection note makes it all worth while. It concludes with a post script: Apparently the slight tearing and water warping of the first page -- which I had on initial glance written off as post office manhandling -- was in fact gnawmarks. Editor's cat was so enamored of my MS the cover letter was consumed. Well, I guess it's better than coffee cup stains and scone crumbs. Editor closed with a question: had I rubbed my MS in catnip, by chance?

Now, from three years working at a vet hospital I am dearly hoping he doesn't mean the entire thing was consumed. (If so, Mr Editor, you might want to get your cat to the nearest emergency room, ASAP) More than likely the cat did what most kitties do with papers that are "off limits:" Destroy them as quickly as possible. Still, it makes for a great laugh, no?

Sorry, dear editor. I can neither explain your cat's attraction to my MS, nor offer a confession that I had the foresight to rub it in catnip. I wish I had though...hmmm. Maybe the next submission?

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Nessa said...

Interesting. You could use this incident as a segway for your next submission.

Dear Sir:

It's me, the writer your cat loves. Here's another story for her. Hope you like it, too.

Sincerely,

EddieGrrl

3/15/2006 3:00 AM  
Blogger Eddie said...

Brilliant Nibs! I've been trying to figure out a clever way to work that into the next submission, hehehe!

3/15/2006 9:51 AM  
Blogger Eddie said...

BGF - Is that the difference between genre and mainstream lit submissions? Hehehe...I knew the grass was greener on the other side.

3/22/2006 9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home